Wednesday, July 9, 2008

book talk


I got an email from my sister (who also loves books) telling me about http://www.goodreads.com/ where you can see what not-yet-dead authors have contributed to literature, and what people are reading. I realize that my last book post may have sounded much different than I intended it to. I was not trying to insult living authors or those who read their books. As I told my sis, I know there are people today writing the classics of tomorrow. But I have just been in love with the classics for my whole life, and I like to stay where I'm comfortable.

So I'm going to give the living authors a genuine shot. I know that using a human/vampire/werewolf love triangle story was not the smartest place for me to test the waters of the world of living authors. I should have listened to Noah when he asked, "Why would anyone want to read a book about an apple?" My sis suggested Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I'm going to do it. Just like jumping off the cliff in Belize. Scary and unfamiliar. But once you're in the water, you just want to do it again. I'm sure it will be the same.

But first I'm going to finish 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda D. is really in to the book web site. You'll have to connect with her on it. Thanks for the recipe!