Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The marathon family


We are back from our big weekend in Seattle. It was amazing, and I can't believe it, but I can't wait to run another 1/2 marathon. The picture above is of 2 friends and me after the marathon. More pictures will be coming soon.

I took things a little slower than my usual pace for the first 10 miles, because I had no idea what I was going to have to pull out for the last 3. I had to stop and stretch my IT band at mile 11 for a few minutes, and then I kicked it in for the last 2 miles. My time was 2:22:40. I had no idea what my time could be, and my only goal was to not walk. I now know I was a big, fat wimp and I've got a time to beat. I wasn't even stiff or sore afterward. I should have pushed myself much harder. But it is actually good I didn't--because the rest of the fam needed a caretaker after the race.

Mark--that foxy, buff, athletic, 40-year-old husband of mine, had a goal. He ran the LA Marathon 17 years ago with a 4:22:30 time. He wanted to beat that time and beat it big. He trained very hard, and he was able to knock off almost 40 minutes, finishing in 3:44:50--faster than 88% of the other marathoners. Now his sights are set on Boston. He has to get 3:20:59 to qualify. We are going to Las Vegas in december to run the Rock N Roll there. I know I can easily knock off 22 minutes from mine, and I know that Mark will substantially improve his time as well.

Abram was amazing. He was there at the family reunion area waiting for me, and he had been there about a half hour. His 1/2 marathon time was 1:52:40--also in the top 12%. What a kid! He spent 2 months of training out with patellar tendonitis. He only 1 month ago was able to start running again. He's got some talent for sure. And lots of willpower like his daddy.

Jake did really well. He finished about 1/2 hour after I did, and I was so relieved to see him coming through. I felt like such an irresponsible mother leaving him in Tukwila, Washington to find his corral at the start line, just hoping I would find him a few hours later in downtown Seattle. He made it in about 2:54-ish.

My sister Nancy ran the full marathon, but we ran the first 9 miles together. It flew by so fast as we sang with the bands, laughed at some crazy people, and she worked the spectators for high-fives. It was so fun to have her with us for the weekend, and I can't believe she finished her 2nd marathon in 2 months.

Now we're on to Las Vegas December 6th. Mark is shooting for a more Boston-qualifying time, and I want to finish the 1/2 in under 2 hours. This week is rest and recovery, but starting next week, it will all start again.

Mark's brother Josh took some great pics of us the morning after the marathon. I will post those as soon as I have them. I didn't know we were having a photo shoot, or I would have at least brushed my hair or washed my face that morning. But they look fantastic and I can't wait to post them.

1 comment:

Katie said...

JILL! you are totally inspiring me to become a runner. as soon as my blood clot ceases to be a problem, i WILL start running!