Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Kneaders Curried Turkey Chowder

I'm really not much of a leftovers fan. But one thing I DO love is this soup made with leftover turkey. I've also made it with turkey deli meat cut into small pieces. It is equally delicious. Also, the recipe calls for cream, however, I make it with milk and that's plenty of creaminess for me.

Whenever I make this soup, it disappears. All 7 of our kids love this soup. I also love this soup because it whips up in about a half hour. It's a handy recipe for those nights when it is 5:00 and you haven't thought about what is for dinner yet.

Ingredients:
2 cups water
2 1/2 T. chicken bouillon granules
½ cup diced green onions
1 t. curry powder
3 carrots peeled and chopped
¼ t. cayenne pepper
3 ribs diced celery
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups cream
2 cups chopped turkey breast

Roux for soup:
½ cup butter
½ cup all-purpose flour

Directions:In a stockpot combine water and veggies. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Continue to simmer until vegetables are tender. Season with curry powder, chicken bouillon, and cayenne pepper. Add turkey breast.

(Roux) In a small saucepan melt butter and slowly add flour. Stir constantly. Slowly add cream continuing to stir. Heat, but do not boil. Add roux slowly to turkey and veggies. Heat thoroughly. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with warm crusty bread.

3 comments:

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

Let me just add that Lindsey loves this soup too. (especially when Jill makes it)

nanadover said...

This sounds so yummy! I have a recipe for Chicken Bisque soup that is very similar, but has lots more butter and cream. I haven't made it in years because of that reason. I will definitely try this!! Thanks Jill!

Lisa said...

Oh I am going to try it this week. It is freezing and soup sounds fantastic!