Tuesday, February 16, 2010

This awards ceremony is making me hungry.

Last night I watched the Olympics. I love to watch the Olympics. Always have, always will. I especially enjoy it in these modern days of DVR. How did I put up with the torture of Bob Costas in all the years previously? It is so nice to take a 3-4 hour recording of NBC broadcasting, and whittle it down to 1 to 1.5 hours of pure sport. Every now and then one of the athlete biographies is interesting, but for the most part, I don't care. I just want to watch the games. I did truly love the story last night about Alexandre Bilodeau and his brother Frederic last night. What an amazing human. I do have a thing for brown eyes, but with Alexandre, it is much more than that. He is beautiful inside and out. That was a glorious story.

Which leads me to the purpose of this post.

Near the end of the broadcast last night, and right after the special piece on Alexandre, NBC showed the medals ceremony where Alexandre was awarded the gold medal for the men's moguls. I admit I got teary as I heard that stadium full of Canadians singing their anthem and celebrating Alexandre's amazing gold medal performance.

But I was distracted. By his hat. Alexandre's hat. Designed by Hudson Bay Company, along with the rest of the retro-inspired Canadian team uniform. But I think the designer who came up with the hat got his or her inspiration while eating lunch at the mall.

Does this hat
remind you of this hat?

It sure reminds me of Hot Dog On A Stick. I expected Alexandre to climb down from that podium and go start mashing up some lemons in a giant bucket. I asked Abram if he thought there was a resemblance, and he didn't understand. So I googled Hot Dog On A Stick images, and showed him what I was talking about. He started laughing immediately, and we had to rewind the awards to see that crazy hat again.

Alexandre is my hero of this year's Olympics, but I hope I don't have to see him wearing that hat again. Let's hope the Candians stick with Roots for their uniform design for the next winter Olympics.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That medal kinda reminds me of the smashed penny you get for fifty cents at the zoo out of the pinching machines. . .