Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Party like it's 1990

I loved high school. I really, really loved it. Every day was fun, and I never complained about waking up at 5:30 AM to wash and dry my long hair before putting it up in hot rollers while I practiced the piano. I loved my teachers . I loved my friends. I loved my classes. I loved everything about it.

Well, that was 20 years ago. My high school reunion was last weekend, and I left Mark and the kids for a weekend in Salt Lake City.

Friday night was a casual gathering at the high school football field. No spouses. Just alumni. I admit my heart was pounding as I walked up to the gate alone, but I soon found old friends and spent the next several hours chatting away with people I knew well, some I don't remember knowing but must have, and some I knew a little bit but really clicked with 20 years later.

At about 10:30 when the crowd was dispersing, one of my friends asked if I needed to get home. Of course, I did not need to be anywhere, as Mark and the kids were 800 miles away, and so about 12 of us went to Hires. It's always a good time for a Big H and a frosty mug. We talked and laughed until about 2AM. Hire's booted us out at about 12:30, but we stood around in the parking lot talking for another hour and a half. At our midnight meal, a group of four of us decided to run the Disneyland Half Marathon next year. I am so excited for that.
I spent the afternoon Saturday with my Grandma and Grandpa Breinholt--2 of my favorite people in the world. They are slowing down, but are just as amazing and fun to be with as they were when I was little.

Saturday night was the fancy party. I was happy that many of my friends were going without husbands. After I was at Mark's reunion 4 years ago, we made the agreement that he really didn't need to come to mine. I spent the night talking to many people I had always wondered about, and re-acquainting myself with many I had forgotten about. Everyone looked older, but pretty much the same. Thanks to our nametags, it made people easy to recognize. It was such a fun night, that I didn't even care about the lousy food or my rumbling tummy. I should have stopped at Hires on my way there... At least I had a Cafe Rio salad for lunch earlier in the day.
As always, as fun as it was, it was good to come home. The kids and Mark had missed me, and I had missed them. Jacob had done the laundry and Aubrey had shined up the kitchen. Everything was clean! Good thing, too, because about 10 minutes after I got home, we had a fireside at our house for all the youth in our ward.

No comments: