Thursday, October 11, 2012

more teacher stuff

When I sub in a middle school, usually the teachers have in the plans for me to have the kids work on something they were given yesterday (like an assignment or a worksheet packet).  It NEVER fails that when I try to get class started, I hear these three excuses from kids for why they do not have the assignment on their desks.
1). I left it at home.
2). It's in my locker.
3). I already turned it in.

The last one is my favorite, and I love to confront the liar.  I push back.  "Oh, yeah?  It just was assigned yesterday, and the teacher is absent today, but you already turned it in?  Do you want to change your story now, or after I give you a referral for lying to a teacher?"

When any of these three excuses comes up, I tell the kids that they can get the assignment out of their binders/backpacks, or I can get into their binders/backpacks and get it out for them.

The assignment magically appears.

This week I have been lucky to be in high schools.  It is my favorite.  I love teaching math, and I love teaching Spanish.  Every single Spanish class I have had makes the same joke about my name.  They look at it on the board, and the because they are in Spanish class they immediately jump to DORA.  They think it is funny to call me Mrs. Dora the Explorer.  It has never NOT happened in a Spanish class.  At least it's not a "Jack and Jill" joke.  Last week I did social studies, foods and and English language learners class in my favorite high school.  It is fun to be able to interact with the high-schoolers, and to not have to spend as much energy as middle school kids demand from me while trying to manage their behavior.

Yesterday was the most fun of all.  2 classes of AP Calculus and 4 classes of Algebra 1.  I was in nerd heaven.  The kids thought I was crazy, but they laughed at my stupid jokes.  It was a great day.

Today I had my own kid in my class!  He was proud to show off his nerdy mom, I'm sure.

This week I did 4 full days, which has been absolutely crazy as far as things that need to get done at home.  Tomorrow will be a busy, busy day.  Lots of yardwork and housework for everyone tomorrow.  I sure they will be delighted that they have the day off of school.

I have decided that the subbing thing has been my way of dealing with the emotions the changes in our family.  Abram is off to college, and Zack is in 1st grade and gone all day.  I don't have to face a big, empty house all day by myself if I am subbing.  And then when I am home on a day, there is so much to do to take care of the house, yard, laundry, shopping, that I don't have time to think about how much I miss Abram, or how grown up my baby Zack is.

No comments: