Monday, October 26, 2009

Halloween sneak peek!

I have always loved making Halloween costumes. Maybe for my next post I'll go through the old photo albums to catalog my creations. Last year was the first year I did not make any costumes. All because I ended up in the ER with tummy trouble during costume-making season last year, and the kids had to scrounge in the costume boxes for something they wanted. Fortunately, we have quite a selection after all of these years.

It all started when Abram was 5 months old and I saw a pattern for a skunk costume. I knew he had to have it, and so I got busy and made it. The next year, Aubrey wore it (with a new bow sewn to the head) and Abram got a new Winnie-the-Pooh costume. This was years before Winnie the Pooh was anywhere to be seen on anything, and so I had to create this one on my own.

Each year since, I have made 1, 2, 3, or 4 costumes. A couple of times I have purchased costumes (mostly on clearance at the Disney store after Halloween) and added them to our costume boxes. My new favorite is the owl at the top of this post. It is quite a spectacle, especially with the bright stripey tights Savanna picked to go with it.
Zachary wanted to be Bolt. He loves Bolt. He thinks he is Bolt. Apparently, Disney has no idea how much money they could be making with Bolt costumes, toys, clothes--ANYTHING! So I took creative license and stitched up this little Bolt costume for Zachary.Savanna and Zack posed on the stairs so I could get some pictures of their costumes. I have finished Noah's Rhino the hamster costume--and it is super cute, too. I just need take some pictures of him. He has the PERFECT teeth to be Rhino this year. And he is super wild and crazy and hyper and cute. Once again, Disney could have made a fortune on Bolt costumes. I'll get a picture of Noah later, and tell you about the crazy pattern hybrid I used to make his costume.
Savanna was going to be Penny from Bolt, but once we found this owl pattern, that's all there was to it.

4 comments:

nanadover said...

To cute! You should go into business Jill! You could make a bundle from all the non-creative moms out there! I've made a few costumes when my kids were little, but you far surpass anything I attempted!

Nancy said...

Can you get Savanna to take the owl costume off?

Katie said...

wow! way impressed!

Joelle said...

Jill,

I have been searching for a Bolt costume for my three year old daughter. She LOVES Bolt and wants to be him for Halloween. I am not as crafty as you, by far, have you sold this costume or are you willing to sell it. Please let me know at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,

Joelle