Monday, July 4, 2011

When recycling goes bad

I love mother earth as much as the next Oregonian. Our family alone puts out 2 90-gallon recyling rollcarts every week on trash day. But sometimes recycling goes over the top.

This post is actually about a race I ran this morning, though. The Sauvie Island 1/2 Marathon.

My body was definitely not ready for another race only 9 days after I last ran a 1/2. But the race was local, and it was on a non-Sunday. And 13.1 miles is a great way to start off your 4th of July celebration, right?

The good: I have NEVER had a race t-shirt that I actually wore. Usually as soon as I walk in the door after a race I hand the shirt off to one of the little kids to use as PJs. The shirts have all been ugly man-shirts. I am not a rectangle. I have curves. And I have strong arms, so I don't need a t-shirt that touches my elbows to hide anything. This was the first race I have entered that had women's specific sized shirts for the ladies. Thank you! It even is a bright blue with a strawberry on it. Amazingly cute. I will wear it proudly.

Also good was the excellent strawberry shortcake post-race. From strawberries picked right there on the island. Delish.

The bad: Medals should be shiny. Medals should be heavy. Medals should be something fun to wear. Medals should be new. Medals should be water-resistant. Maybe even medals should be made in China. Medals should not be made in Oregon of recycled bicycle chains. And cardboard.

I am not kidding. The "medal" is a piece of cardboard with toothed-gear edges placed inside a circle of recycled bicycle chain. And then on the back they printed a message about how awesome it is to have a race medal made of recycled bicycle chain. It's not awesome. It's stupid.

This race took their recycling to the extreme. They even had trash monitors watching as you threw away your trash. They made sure you put your empty water bottle in the water bottle bin and your dirty strawberry shortcake dish in the right bin. Honestly, a person stood at each trash location to make sure you put your refuse in the correct box. Insanity.
Perhaps that is just my glycogen-depleted brain talking. Perhaps tomorrow I will wake up and realize what a wonderful idea it was to give people leftover junk to commemorate their running accomplishment. But probably not.

But I just ran 13.1 miles! That makes me happy even if the medal does not. Besides, I look fabulous in my new t-shirt.

1 comment:

Tanya Dow said...

I didn't order a t-shirt and when I saw that they were cute I was a little sad...my 2 marathon shirts are YUCK! You forgot to mention that they also had composte bins by some of the trash & recycle cans. I also thought the monitors were a little over the top and the medal, um, ya. But a beautiful, flat course. Good job!