Monday, September 26, 2011

Camera drama

One thing you should know about Mark is that he takes care of things better than anyone else I know.  Nothing he owns has a scratch on it.  He is very, very careful about everything.

When Mark and I went to Belize 3 years ago, we didn't come home with many pictures from our own camera because the first day in Belize, Mark's lens broke.  Like really, really broke.  Not because he dropped it, but it simply just came apart on the inside.  It was sad, but we had lots of other family members with us who took great pictures and shared them with us.

We bought a new lens for Mark's 5D after the old one broke, and it has worked magnificently.  He has taken thousands of great pictures in the years since he had his new lens.  The lens is still working fine.

This trip to Belize, it was the camera's turn to die.  It was super sad just as Mark was getting ready to take some pictures of us jumping off of rocks into the Caves Branch river with his motor drive, something choked in his camera and it would not work.  That night at the hotel he took the lens off and discovered that the mirror inside of the camera had become detached somehow.  Again, this wasn't because the camera had been mistreated.  It just decided that day to come unglued.  Luckily, 3 of our kids had cameras, and so we got some great pictures of Belize.  Just not Mark pictures.  And there is a difference, let me tell you.

When we got home, I looked online and discovered that about 1 1/2 years ago Canon had issued a service alert for the original 5D because the adhesive they had used for the mirror was bad and the mirrors were coming off....Really?  Anyway, they emailed me a shipping label and repaired it for free.  Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Before we went to Belize we bought the Canon waterproof powershot camera.  The images we took were fantastic both in the water and out of the water.  It is a fabulous waterproof camera, and I am so glad I bit the bullet and bought the Canon so that we could have such fun pictures of our water adventures and playing in the pool.

The last day we were in Belize, the display on the waterproof camera started to go out.  It still took great pictures, the screen just had a bunch of lines through it.  When we got home, I checked with Amazon, and because I had purchased the camera within 30 days, they said to return it to them for a full refund as it must have been a defective product.  Imagine that---I ordered a defective product.  What else is new?

So I sent it back and they gave me a refund.  And I don't plan on buying a new one right away, because it will just sit on a shelf.  I'll buy a new one if we ever need it again.

1 comment:

nanadover said...

If there ever was an award given for damaged/defective/broken (insert your own descriptive word here), you would win hands down! Glad it all worked out with the cameras, and that you were able to take so many pictures to share! I've loved the photo vacation!