Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You don't see that every day


 One evening in San Pedro there was a family walking on the beach in front of our room.  They asked the kids if they wanted to see the necklaces they had for sale.  Almost everyone there asks if you want to buy some necklaces, and then they pull about 400 out of their pockets or a backpack.  These people were very nice, and had two cute kids with them, and so we told them we would look at their necklaces.

While we were going through their vast collection of necklaces on the rocks by our hotel, their two kids were over playing at the sea shore.  When next I looked over, I saw two little kids using a machete to try to crack open a coconut.  I was stunned as the parents acted like this was a perfectly normal for a 3- and 4-year old to be doing.  Aubrey went over and took some pictures because it was so funny.

 We bought a few necklaces from them, and they went on their way.  I'm hoping everyone still has all of their limbs.

It reminded me of a time that Noah was about 3 years old and he came into our kitchen with our machete from the garage.  He held it up in the air and asked with a big smile on his face, "Can I use this?"

I tried to NOT freak out as I calmly told him "Not today," and swiped it out of his hands as fast as I could.

No comments: