Friday, December 23, 2011

A broken promise

Last week was pretty much shot for me getting anything accomplished other than caring for my two boys who are recovering from their surgeries.  When we got home they couldn't even lift their arms to feed themselves or brush their teeth or do anything.  And I was waking up every 4 hours in the night to give them their pain meds.  I helped teenage boys do things last week I never expected I would ever do.  But now they are up and getting all around the house and pretty self-sufficient, even if they are walking a little slow.  Yesterday my claustrophobia (and clutter-phobia) got the best of me and I banished them and all of their pillows and blankets to the bedroom after a week of them sleeping and spending most of the day on the couches in the great room.  They really are making a remarkable recovery.

So this week I have been a busy bee getting everything ready for Christmas weekend.  I baked about 400 cookies and delivered them to many people, cleaned like crazy and planned a menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner for today through Monday, and spent most of yesterday shopping for food and getting any last-minute things we needed.

After such a hectic week of running a million errands, I made myself a promise that I wasn't leaving the house until we had church on Sunday.  I left the caveat that perhaps Sherlock Holmes could temporarily lure me out of my house for a few hours, however.

Well, plans changed this morning and I had to break my promise to myself.

Savanna and Zachary were playing in the basement, and suddenly Savanna ran upstairs screaming and holding her ear.  She was followed by Zachary who had a very scared look on his face.  I knew something was very wrong, so I pulled Savvy's hand away from her ear and saw blood coming out of her ear.  Never what you want to see.  Anyway, I asked what happened and Zachary had been pretending to paint Savanna's face with a watercolor paintbrush (not the cheap kind, but an actual watercolor paintbrush), and for some reason he had decided to shove the brush into Savanna's ear.  Bristles first, but as I said it was a real brush with a metal ferrule.

Savanna and I jumped in the car and drove to our local ENT, which luckily is only 2 miles away.  Due to numerous eardrum ruptures during her early years, she was already a patient of record and the doctor just worked her right in to the schedule.  Fortunately, it was a laceration of the ear canal and not a tympanic membrane puncture.  He prescribed some antibiotic drops, and after a stop at the pharmacy we were on our way.  Savanna's ear still hurts a bit, and is still dripping a little blood, but she is OK and that is what matters.

I had also forgotten about a commitment I had today which I also had to break my promise for.  Savanna and Noah had a Christmas piano recital in which I played a duet with Savanna.  The kids did great, and it was very fun to see them perform.

And then we went to see Sherlock Holmes.  Wow.  What a great movie!

So, it turns out I spent 8 hours away from home today when I had planned to stay home.  But then I decided it had been a pie crust promise just like Mary Poppins explained....easily made, easily broken.  And no harm done.

Here's to hoping tomorrow I can just stay home and enjoy the day getting ready for our big party with cousins tomorrow night.

No comments: