Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Laugh or cry

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache.”
--Marjorie Hinckley

That about sums up my week so far. From a tragic accident during a game Friday night where someone dear to us lost an eye (that old idiom is no longer just an idiom to us), to the whole other chain of events which followed, to the passing away of a heroic ward member who had been battling cancer, to now sitting in a hospital with two of my boys who are recovering from a very painful surgery, it has been a wild week of emotional trauma.

The boys surgeries went well and they both are sleeping comfortably. Their chests are completely normal-looking. I have taken a lot of pictures, but I don't have the energy to think about uploading them now.
Hard times always bring the scripture from Isaiah 53 to mind: "Surely he hath bourne our griefs and carried our sorrows." When life seems to throw too much at me, I remember the gift of Jesus Christ and that he not only paid the price for my sins but also carried the weight of my burdens so I can endure. We have found reasons to laugh for certain. Jacob made me laugh today when I told him I was going to go use the restroom. He said, "Lucky you." He has a catheter for a few days to save him from getting up out of bed... We have been blessed with two strong and healthy boys who survived a painful surgery and an amazing surgeon who has changed their lives.

1 comment:

troutdalite said...

Thanks for summarizing the heavy hearts we've all carried this week. Hope the boys heal quick and can be up in no time!