Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I wish I could

This was an assignment Noah wrote for school:


Dear Mom,

I wish I could go back in time and fix all my mistakes; but the biggest blunder I want to fix is the time I broke the microwave.  

It all started a few days before I destroyed the microwave when Uncle Seth came over to see if we wanted to go see something cool in Portland.  Unfortunately, we couldn’t come.  Later that evening, he showed us a video online of what he did in Portland.  He was shooting a pumpkin cannon with some of his buddies from where he works.  Then he asked if we wanted to see something else cool and he asked if we had a spare CD.  He gave him a blank CD and he walked over to our microwave.  He told all of us to come to him.  He put the CD in the microwave and pushed the 5 button.  The CD was in the microwave for 2 or 3 seconds.  Then it got cool!  I can’t explain what it looked like, but the appearance of the CD made you want to do it again.  After 5 seconds the timer beeped and we took the CD out.  He handed the CD to me and I passed it around to all the kids in our family.  We each inspected it and we thought it was awesome.  I didn’t know it yet, but I was going to break our microwave by trying to repeat this amazing trick that my Uncle had taught me.  You were not too happy that he had shown us this trick, and you warned us that if anybody tried it again we would be in big trouble.

I was an 11-year-old boy.  I had just seen the most fantastic thing I could imagine in a microwave.  How was I supposed to never do that again?

A couple of days later, I grabbed another CD and ran to the microwave.  I opened the microwave and put the CD inside.  I set the timer for 10 seconds and pushed the start button.  The CD started to do the same thing it had done when Uncle Seth had done it; however, at 7 seconds, there was a really little fire on the CD.  I quickly stopped the microwave and waited a minute or two before I took the CD out.  I ran it through water and put it in my room.  The next morning, I cooked a burrito in the microwave, but the burrito was still cold after the time was up.  I cooked it again and it got a little warmer.  I realized that the microwave was slowly breaking.  Over the next couple of days, you noticed this as well.  Finally you asked me if I had just so happened to put another CD in the microwave.  I admitted that I had put a CD in microwave.  You got mad and gave me a huge punishment.  I learned to never do that again, and I never did it again.

I felt so horrible that I broke a $600 microwave with a 6-cent CD.  I wish that I could go back in time to take this moment back and that I had never put a CD in the microwave.  But I don’t have a Delorean to take me back to the future.  I am so sorry.

Love,

Your favorite son Noah

P.S. I think it was Seth’s fault also.

1 comment:

nanadover said...

BOYS! No matter how old they are, they are still BOYS!