Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Gingerbread Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
2 TBSP vinegar
5 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBSP ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg, molasses and vinegar. Whisk dry ingredients together. Mix with sugar mixture. Chill 3 hours. Roll dough 1/4 inch thick and cut into shapes. Bake at 375 for 6-8 minutes until cookies just start to crack. Cool slightly, then remove to wire rack.
I mix up a sugar glaze of powdered sugar and milk and ice the cooled cookies. I'm way too lazy to actually decorate them.

4 comments:

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

So I agree with you about not "usually" liking these cookies. Though there is not a cuter cookie, I usually pass. But if you say their good...

Jill said...

Do it, Lindsey! Just make sure you take them out of the oven when they are barely set and just cracking!

nanadover said...

MMmmmmm....Gingerbread....my favorite! I'll have to give them a try!

troutdalite said...

MMM...you had me at the molasses : )