Tuesday, December 16, 2008

No time to blog----too much to knit

My mom taught me how to knit when I was about 14. I knit dishcloths like a crazy girl. I really enjoyed knitting. I was a knitter before it was cool. When Mark was in dental school I would knit at the library while he studied. When Abram was a baby I made a couple of little sweaters for him.

For the past 15 years or so, I have picked up my needles once, and that was about 8 years ago to make some animal puppets for the kids. I guess it's because I really don't have a lot of spare time.

When my mom was here at Thanksgiving, she was knitting some hats, which are very beautiful, and very simple. I watched her knit in the round and I was mesmerized. I had never knit in the round, but I saw that it was really not a big deal. And then she switched to the double-pointed needles and I was afraid.

I remember as a young girl watching my piano teacher knit little Santa christmas tree ornaments on double-pointed needles. It scared me because it looked like she was playing with a voodoo doll. There was no way I could ever do such a thing. Way too complicated for the world's most un-coordinated person to even think about.

My mom and I found a yarn shop here in town that sold Lamb's Pride yarn, and I bought some to give it a try. I first needed a tutorial on casting on again. And then I went crazy. I was able to knit, purl, and even do cables even without trouble. I decided to make hats for my visiting teaching ladies, and I did it! Now we have some frosty weather, so I'm going to make the rounds today to deliver the hats and some Christmas treats to my friends.

What to knit next? I've got to make a scarf to match my beautiful hat!

5 comments:

Batman Forever said...

Show a picture of the pretty hats. I couldn't knit to save my life! I tried crocheting one year. But I tossed everything I made. So bad!

Lisa said...

Is there anything that you can't do? Seriously...

How was the trip to St. George? I am so sad that we weren't there. We will plan for next year for sure!

Anonymous said...

As much as I like reading your blog...your hat is AMAZING! Scott just back with a beautiful cabled hat in my most favorite color. Thank you, thank you! I need somewhere to wear it now, so I'm heading out to see the huge snowman I heart about by the school : )
I'm so glad you're having fun w/knitting again. I'm still trying to finish a project I started when I was pregnant w/JASON!

nanadover said...

This is the perfect weather for a knitted hat! Have fun!

Cami said...

Knitting can really be addictive...I'm glad you're having so much fun--and cables!! Oh my! Merry Christmas, Cami