Thursday, April 16, 2009

Dishwasher saga finale

Remember 2 months ago when my incredible new dishwasher arrived damaged? And how Sears told the installers to go ahead and install it and they would send another one in a few days? And remember how a week later when I called Sears they told me that I was lying and they never would have allowed anyone to install a dented dishwasher? Well, 35 phone calls later, and 35 different answers later, my new non-dented dishwasher was installed today!

It seems that Sears is unbelievably disorganzied and there are several departments that handle similar things. Customer service tells you they don't handle it, so they transfer you to delivery--delivery transfers you to One Source--One Source transfers you to "Rapid Resolution" who in turn cannot help you and transfers you to delivery--that's right. The same place you started.

Sears has a very odd concept of customer service. After telling you that Sears can do nothing to help you because you are clearly making up a story, someone will call your cell phone out of the blue and tell you that your replacment dishwasher has been sitting at the warehouse for 2 weeks and they are wondering if you're coming to get it. More phone calls, more confusion. And then Sears delivery cannot locate your dishwasher anywhere. In fact, they cannot even find an order under your phone number at all. And they cannot see anywhere in their database that the warehouse has your dishwasher, because there isn't even an order for one.

To top it off, if someone had your phone number, say, more than a decade ago and opened up a Sears account way back then, Sears will try to deliver your replacement dishwasher to that person in a totally different city. They are able to deliver the first one to the address you ordered it from, but the replacement for some reason will go to a total stranger.

After all that trouble, finally on Monday I didn't let the guy from Sears transfer me to anyone else--been there, done that. I made him find the dishwasher (which was at the warehouse--shocking, I know), and notify the installer. I guess that when there was the confusion with our home phone number, somebody had changed the order to be under my cell number.

All that matters is it's here, and it does a beautiful job of washing dishes. I'm just really, really glad I made the first installers leave the dented one. Otherwise, I would have been without a dishwasher this whole time!

2 comments:

nanadover said...

Whew! Talk about enduring to the end!
So glad it's all over for you!
The question of the hour.....will you ever order from Sears again?:):)

Tanya Dow said...

I would have been pulling my hair out!!!! Glad it has finally arrived.