Thursday, April 2, 2009

Baby Pants



Zachary has always been a very descriptive boy. He is only 2 1/2, but he started talking very early--and in complete sentences. Yesterday when he was getting dressed, he was telling me that he wanted to wear baby pants. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what he meant by "baby pants."

This last week Zack potty-trained himself, and we had many conversations about big boys wearing undies and babies wearing diapers. Zack told me he was a big boy and wanted to wear undies and not diapers, as he was not a baby anymore. So he started using the potty, and we bought some new undies for him. I was trying to figure out somehow if "baby pants" related to this baby/big boy discussion.

After about 10 minutes of him trying to tell me he wanted baby pants, I took him upstairs to his closet so he could show me. He had me pick him up where he could reach a stack of clothes waiting for warmer weather. He grabbed a pair of shorts. And then it dawned on me: Zack has always described big and little using "baby" and "daddy" as adjectives. For instance, baby trees and daddy trees in the yard, baby rocks and daddy rocks, cars, etc. I just had never heard him talk about clothes this way.

So Zack put on his baby pants and went off to play, happy that his crazy mom had finally figured things out.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Close call!!! I was thinking diapers the whole time!!! Noah potty trained quickly too, and I would die if he ever asked for a diaper! We went cold turkey baby... No pullups or anything. That was Allison's advice and I am so glad I took it!

nanadover said...

That is just too cute!!!

Anonymous said...

loved the baby pants story! can you send zacky over in a year and a half when ian needs to change to undies??