Monday, April 6, 2009

Sports junkie


I'm not one. Nobody in our family really is. But we started a thing a couple of years ago where Abram invited 40 kids from school to watch the NCAA championship game and eat and run around the backyard. It has always been a good group of kids and a fun night. I like to be "in-the-know" with his friends. Luckily, they think I'm cool. I'm not sure how long that will hold out, but I'm using it for all it's worth right now.

If you have read my blog for a while, you know the story of "The Party That Almost Wasn't." We don't watch a lot of sports around here, and really not much TV at all. The other night I woke up at 3 AM with a horrible thought running through my mind--I thought I had done it again, but this wouldn't be solved with a call to Dish.

Like I said, we don't watch TV much--and never the local channels. Somehow in my subconsious mind I remembered that Dish Network was having a dispute with channel 2, one of the local affilitates, and nobody in our area could get that channel on Dish Network. But I honestly did not know if channel 2 was CBS or ABC. As I had no reason to watch either of these channels, I didn't ever pay attention to which one we were missing. I knew the game was on CBS, and I knew we had NBC for sure, but the other pieces of the puzzle I could not figure out. I truly had no idea which of the other 2 networks we did not have. I was frantic--what if CBS was the station we didn't have and 40 kids were planning to show up at my house to watch a game? Why hadn't I learned my lesson last time and actually checked the programming guide to make sure we had the right channel before I made invitations?

So I jumped out of bed and turned on the TV. I was overjoyed to see that it is ABC we do not have, and so we are all set for a big party here tonight to watch the Tarheels win the championship! I'm baking up a storm to get ready. A chocolate fountain, cookies, pizza, and a very nice day outside--it's going to be a great party!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the 3 a.m. "brain race"! So glad you're set up with the right station ... and cookie magic for the gang.