Monday, January 11, 2010

The Book Thief

I admit I am a book snob. Somewhere along the line I fell in love with Charles Dickens, Alexandre Dumas, Jane Austen et al. I love the classics. I love them as works of art, and pieces of true literature. I've had the philosophy that the only good author is a dead author--with the exception of Harper Lee. To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my top pieces of perfection in literature--a beautiful story, and yet so much symbolism, immagery and deep meaning if you want to look for it. I like novels that have some literary value--not just a fun or exciting story.

I read all the Harry Potter books. I did enjoy the last 6 of them, and I loved the storyline of all 7 of them. But JK Rowling's writing left much to be desired--I couldn't even finish the first book. She did get better with each book, in my opinion. I understand these books were not written to be great works of literature, but to be fun and exciting stories which got millions of children to read who otherwise would not have. Props.

I heard raves about Twilight. I bought the first book and excitedly started to read it. Within 3 pages, I knew I was in for torture. Again, loved the story, hated the writing. Is that a strong enough word? Like HP, I understand that these books were not written to be works of art, but just a means of telling a story.

Meanwhile, I was ingesting Charles Dickens like I was starving. Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House, Little Dorrit, Great Expectations.... This guy could tell a story, write satire, foreshadow like nobody's business, symbolize, and use literary devices better than anyone else. Truly meaty novels.

I was sure I would never find another book by a living author (other than TKAM) that was not only so beautiful it makes you cry, but also so deep and symbolic and full of metaphor that you can't believe it. Enter The Book Thief.

I bought this one on recommendation from my sis. She reads much more than I do, and she said this was her favorite book of the last year. So I gave it a chance. I could not put it down. It was so beautiful, inspiring, heartbreaking, and so amazing. I admit that I got teary in the last part of the book.

Next up is I Am The Messenger by the same author. I'm hoping it makes me as happy as The Book Thief.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

It warms the cockles of my tiny frozen heart that you loved this book as much as I did. I feel a little silly, however, as I hysterically SOBBED through this book. You get a little teary eyed from commercials, and just got misty at the end. I didn't cry getting my foot tattooed and I had huge heaving sobs throughout the book. We must discuss...