Saturday, January 30, 2010

Celebrate Good Times

Zachary thought this "apple guy" was so funny.

Abram and Aubrey had finals last week. Thankfully, my high school did not have finals--maybe a test at the end of the quarter, but never a comprehensive final each semester. It was kind of a stressful week for them, and they both did a great job on their exams. When I picked them up from school Thursday, they were ready to celebrate. Where do you go when you really want to kick it up and really celebrate the end of finals week?

The movies? The mall?

No, you go to WinCo.

It's only the best grocery store ever, and a little piece of heaven on earth for me. Sure, you have to bag your own groceries, but the store is so bright and clean, and the prices on everything are amazing every day of the year. The best feature of WinCo is the bulk food aisle. Not just candy (even though the selection is amazing). All sorts of pasta, kitchen staples, grains of all types, spices, cereals, treats, nuts and just about everything you can imagine. You can buy as little or as much as you need. If you are making pesto and you just need a few tablespoons of pine nuts, you can just go buy a few tablespoons of pine nuts! What a concept! I love it.

But the candy selection at WinCo is truly impressive. I cannot go there without buying some sort of treat for myself and whoever is shopping with me. I am partial to sourballs, toffee peanuts and chocolate covered gummy bears. Zacky usually picks "Sweet Fishies" or orange slices. The day of finals, Abram and Aubrey got to choose whatever they wanted. And since it was a special day, they both got to pick two things. Boy, do we know how to party.

As if the incredible prices, and unbelievable bulk foods selection wasn't enough reason to shop at WinCo, the other thing I love is Leonardi's Pizza. It's the best-kept secret in Portland. Truly it is my favorite pizza. You can buy a slice and eat it then, have them bake it for you or take it home and bake it. I've tried a lot of pizza, and usually am slightly disappointed. But I love Leonardi's Pizza.

Candy and pizza. What a great day.

2 comments:

troutdalite said...

We totally love "the bins" too! And, like you, I love the fact that I can buy just a tablespoon of something. Scott's parents fell in love with "the bins" when they were here. We're so glad they are now open in Utah so we don't have to pack their favorite bin items when we go home!

nanadover said...

Winco is a fun place! ...and I LOVE to bag my own groceries.

My grandkids favorite candy from Winco is the chocolate rocks. They really look like rocks.
Not to mention, Winco is the only store around where I can buy bulk sea salt for my fish pond. I know...not exciting for most people, but, when it comes to the 18 cents per pound verses the $3 or $4 per pound at the pet store...Winco wins hands down!