Saturday, January 23, 2010

A lesson about lunch


If kids want a cold lunch for school, they have to tell me. Otherwise, they get hot lunch. On Thursday, I packed lunches for Joel and Savanna, but Noah did not tell me he wanted a lunch, so I did not pack one for him. We got in the car and I dropped the kids off at school like any other day.

When I picked up Noah in the afternoon, he said, "You ditched me!" I asked him what he was talking about, and he told me this sad story:

When Noah was in the garage that morning putting on his shoes and getting his backpack (everyone in our family has a shelf in the garage for all their shoes and backpack), he noticed his lunchbox sitting on the floor by the shoe shelf. So he picked it up because he thought I had packed him a lunch. At their school, they have to order a hot lunch first thing in the morning because the lunches are delivered from the district kitchen. When he opened his lunchbox at lunchtime, he found that it was empty, and he had not ordered a lunch because he thought he had one. He thought I had played a mean trick on him. It turns out that the day before, he had just dropped his lunchbox on the floor when he came in the house, and I hadn't noticed it to make him put it away in the house.

The lunch lady did give Noah something to eat, and Noah is a very resilient, "whatever" kind of kid, so he survived.

Everyone will be much more careful to put away their lunchboxes from now on!

No comments: