Friday, January 28, 2011

A few of my favorite things

It's not raindrops on roses or whiskers on kittens, but these are a few of my favorite things.

Playing with Zachary is my favorite thing to do. It is so fun, that I don't get the cleaning, bookkeeping and cooking done that I would like to. But I'll never get another chance to play all day with Zack, so we play a lot. He is awesome.
Some other favorite things:

Odd-sized measuring spoons.
I can't tell you how many times I have used the 2 tsp. spoon. And the 2 TBSP. Maybe because I'm always doubling recipes?

The Magic Bullet. A TV joke? No, I really love mine. Mostly we use it to make smoothies.

My Rowenta garment steamer.
I love that the boys will steam their own church shirts because for some reason they think this machine is really fun to use.

Sanitaire commercial vaccum with extra-wide brush.
Nothing vacuums faster, or better. We've had it forever, and will have it forever more.

Babyliss Pro hair straightener.
A little spendy, but worth every penny. How else could I spend only 2 minutes doing my hair in the morning?

Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner.
I started wearing makeup when I turned 32, and this was the magic product that got me hooked. I love that you use a brush and can make the line as thin or thick as you want. And it stays on all day. Seriously. ALL DAY!

My Sorel boots.
Sure, I have some of the big clunky Caribou ones, which are great for a snowstorm. But for a cold, rainy day, you just can't wear the big brown snow boots around. These cute Sorels fit like shoes, and they are warm and completely waterproof.

As long as I'm on the subject of shoes, take a look at these glamorous Sofft heels.
I bought them in August to wear to my high school reunion. Mark is only about 1/4" taller than I am, so I have never bought heels. But Mark didn't go with me, so I figured I could wear these. I have tried on heels before and always took them off within about 5 seconds. No, make that 4 seconds. I could never figure out how any one could stand to wear heels, as I instantly would get a severe cramping pain in the ball of my foot any time I stood up in a pair. But these Sofft brand heels are genuinely comfortable--as comfortable as flats. No joke. And because Mark sits on the stand at church, and we go in 2 different cars, I usually wear these on Sundays now as well. Who cares if I look like a giant if we happen to stand next to each other. These shoes are just pure heaven.

I love David Kahn jeans.
It may sound a little vain, but the first time I tried these on, I looked in the mirror and seriously said, "Is that really MY butt?" I had never heard of the brand, and I was at Marshall's, so I figured it was some obscure, strange designer. And then I got home and looked online and discovered what a treasure I had found for $30. Those jeans became a bit too loose over the next 6 months, and I replaced them with the same pair--one size smaller, and about 4x the price. I've looked at Marshall's many times since then, but never have I seen them there again. It's the only pair of jeans I have worn for about the last year. I've tried on about 50 pairs of other jeans of all prices, but nothing compares. I'm going to have to break down and buy another pair.

This post is getting long, but I'll just end with a new favorite. The Roll Pat. It is the perfect surface to roll out cookies, cinnamon rolls or bread on. Nothing sticks to it, and it wipes clean very quickly. I love it.
Pictured with the Roll Pat is the lovely new rolling pin I just got from Williams Sonoma. My old 1990 pin disintegrated a few months ago, and I have loved this one I replaced it with.

1 comment:

Lindsey Jaye Parry said...

Love to know what other people's favorite things are. Those boots are adorable.