Monday, January 10, 2011

The first costumes

This picture is from 1995. I had made the skunk costume for baby Abram the year before, and then when Aubrey was born the next year, I added a bow to the head. Abram was in love with Winnie The Pooh at the time. We watched Winnie The Pooh and the Honey Tree every day. At least 5 times. But this was before Pooh was everywhere. There were no Pooh toys, no Pooh blakets, shirts, or bedsheets. Certainly not Pooh costumes. So I had to make my own.

I used a basic pattern for Pooh, but I enlarged the belly. Then I bought a cheap red t-shirt, cut it short and made the neck hole larger, and used the satin stitch to embroider POOH on the front. Next step was buying a big piece of foam, which I cut into a circle and cut pie shaped slices out of. Then I glued the remaining edges together, making a convex belly for my little Pooh bear. Abram loved it.

Those were happy days.

No comments: