Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Rebecca


Doesn't this look like a trashy cover for a book? It's a great book with a bad cover. You know the old saying.

I recently read Rebecca. It has long been one of my favorite movies, and especially a favorite Hitchcock movie. I bought the book about 4 years ago, always intending to read it, but things are a little busy around here, and for some reason I just never cracked the book open.

And then about a month ago, I decided it was time to read it. And read it I did. I couldn't put it down. Even though I knew the ending from watching the movie at least 5 times, I still could not stop reading. I read the whole thing within 2 days. And Zachary watched a lot of movies for those 2 days. Great suspense, excellent story-telling. A real work of art. I was completely surprised at how much I loved this book.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a well-written suspenseful, spooky love story. And WOW! What a climax. The falling action continues the utter suspense. And the denouement? Fantastic. The book was so great at showing the inner struggle of the main character, and although the movie tried to convey that same thing, showing her staring off into space just wasn't the same as knowing the thoughts that were going on in her head.

Of course, having seen the movie, I totally pictured Lawrence Olivier as Maxim in my head the whole time I was reading. He was so perfect for that role.
Now my big problem is that I cannot find my DVD. I must have loaned it to someone years ago and have forgotten to whom. Anyone? Anyone? I really want to watch the movie again.

No comments: