Monday, April 18, 2011

A dream come true and Paul Revere

Yesterday our adventure started with a visit to a local LDS church in Cambridge. Let me just say it was the most unique sacrament meeting I have ever been to. The organist was outstanding, but slightly neurotic. But boy, could he improvise counterpoint and interludes! The first speaker turned out to be the only speaker, as he never stopped talking, and the meeting ended with skipping the closing hymn in favor of a very odd musical number....very interesting to say the least. We caught the subway back to the hotel, and once again ditched Mark for an adventure.

Where did we go? Why, to Dorchester Heights of course. If you have not read about my obsession with Henry Knox, I have blogged about him a couple of times. He saved Boston from the British in 1776 by hauling 59 canon from Fort Ticonderoga 300 miles away and secretly installing them on top of Dorchester Heights on the foggy night of March 17th, 1776. The British woke up and thought they were surrounded by an immense army, and they left Boston with no bloodshed.

Abram and I had always dreamed of actually standing on the spot that Henry and his men had fortified. I absolutely love the story, and I wanted to see the spot for myself. It was amazing. Probably the highest point in Boston, with the bay on one side, and all of Boston on the other. There is a beautiful monument there, but sadly it is locked up because nobody visits there. It was well worth the subway ride and 1-mile walk through south Boston to get there. It is holy ground.

We walked back through South Boston, sticking out like sore thumbs. We had an excellent lunch at Broadway Cafe, and finally made it back to the T. We decided to go visit Paul Revere again, which meant a lot more walking. As we arrived at the Paul Revere Mall, a very crazy thing happened.

Actually, it wasn't too crazy for me. I tripped. I am clumsy and extremely uncoordinated--that's no secret. But this trip ended with me falling hard. Really hard. I cut up my knee and knocked my forehead on the bricks. After a few seconds, I was able to get up and walk over to a nearby bench. But I felt really, really weird and shaky and dizzy. The boys sat on either side of me, which is a good thing, because within 4 seconds I fainted.

That's right. I fainted right there at the feet of Paul Revere. Fell right back, and if the boys hadn't caught me I would have ended up cracking my head on the bricks. I was out for about 10 seconds, during which I started dreaming, until I was shaken awake by Abram and Jacob. I had no idea what had happened, but as I came to the red bricks clued me in to where I was, and I realized that I had fainted from hitting my head when I fell.

The crazy thing is that the boys say that my eyes were OPEN the entire time! So creepy.

I laid down on the bench for about 30 minutes and stared at Paul Revere while Abram ran to buy me some water. I finally was well enough to walk again, but still was rather shaky the rest of the night.

Good times.

Paul Revere--the only man to ever make me faint.

Then an early bedtime so we could wake up at 5:00 am to get ready for Marathon Monday.


No comments: