Monday, January 30, 2012

Ready to create

After a busy 2 months of taking care of things and kids, I've got the bug to start sewing.  I made a few projects over Christmas, as my niece got a sewing machine and I taught her how to sew while she was in town.  We made pillow cases, pajama pants and owl skirts.  All I have been able to sew since then was an emergency letting out the waist of Noah's church pants Sunday morning, and a super easy school bag for Savanna.  I need a picture of that one, it is pretty cute.

But here is what I have planned to sew.

Curtains for the kitchen (10 years later....)
A dress using this tutorial, an old shirt from DownEast and a yard of cute fabric I just found at Joann.
Another dress--something red
A school bag for Aubrey to match Savanna's
A quilt for Zack's teacher's baby
Pillows for my couches
A cushion for the loooong bench we have in the basement.

I have been busy organizing cupboards and closets and getting rid of stuff this month so that I can have some space to create in.  Tomorrow I will get my sewing table all set up in the exercise room now that Noah's race car set from Christmas has been safely moved to another room and is not in the middle of the floor.  Also up tomorrow: assembling new bookcases to make a home for the 2,000 books that are all lined up across the loooong bench in the basement and stacked up in the back of my bedroom.  I love books. I am addicted to books.  But I have never been able to find bookcases I wanted in our house--and I have been looking for 10 years.  I finally found what I wanted, and now it's time to load the books onto shelves.

Today I took Zachary on some errands after I picked him up from school.  I parked in front of a used book store, which I never would have even noticed if Zack hadn't seen it and insisted that we go in because there was a snowman reading a book painted on their front window.  He was so excited about it.  We found the kids section, and I couldn't help but think that I had more kids books, and a much better collection, than this book store did.  The store was huge, but they sure had a bunch of dumb books.  We left the store empty-handed, and headed home to our own book collection.  As a mom of 7 and a school teacher in a former life, I have definitely amassed a very large collection of children's books.   Zachary found about 10 books in our basement to read with me, and we snuggled up on his beanbag chair and read for the rest of the afternoon.

This is why I have to get a lot done while he is at school--it is too much fun to snuggle up and read with that boy.  What is the most fun to read with Zachary?  The original Joel Chandler Harris "Tales of Uncle Remus."  Maybe not PC for some people, but I have always loved the stories, and so do my kids.  Luckily, my dad does an excellent Uncle Remus voice, so I know how to say all those fancy words that don't look like words when they are printed.  Zachary will often stop and compare something going on to an escapade from Br'er Rabbit or Br'er Fox.  One of the words his kindergarten class came across in a reading story last week was TAR.  Zack was the only kid who knew what tar was.  When he described what it was to the class, his teacher asked him how he knew that.  He said, "from the TAR baby!"  He was shocked that every kid did not know that story.  He talked about it all the way home.  But as much as the kids like it when I read those stories, they tell me that Grandpa tells them better.  I agree with that.  He is the master of storytelling.  That's how he earned his nickname from Zachary of "Story Grandpa."  And "Story Grandpa" is married to "Tickling Grandma."

No comments: