Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hitting the slopes

 I finally got a chance to go skiing this season.  I went with my friend Sue who is a very good ski buddy.  Her youngest is the same age as my oldest, but we always have plenty to talk about.  I love to ski with her because she makes me go on black diamond runs that she knows I can handle but I would be too afraid of on my own.  I am so glad that she is not afraid of the black diamonds.  We took it a little easy on them yesterday because the snow was not quite ideal, but we conquered the ones that we tried.  It hasn't snowed at all in over two weeks, and the temperatures on the mountain have been above freezing during the day.  But it was a day that both of us could get away, so we went for it despite the slushy snow and patches of re-frozen slush.

Yesterday was the first time I had been skiing that I actually was too warm and had to peel off a layer. It was so nice to get up on the mountain where it was sunny and NOT windy like it has been here at my house for the past week.  It was a beautiful day.

The most memorable part of the day was at the end after I had turned in my rental skis and boots and emptied my locker.  I headed down a long hallway where probably 50 sets of skis, poles and boots were carefully lined up against the wall with accompanying paper work for a large ski group coming in this morning. They were all placed so perfectly and nicely.  I noticed how evenly spaced they were also and thought to myself how easy it will be for those people coming the next day to find their rentals.  Unfortunately, I forgot how huge my yellow bag was that I had over my shoulder, and the end of my bag clipped one of the sets of skis, which fell sideways right into another set of skis.....and on and on just like a row of dominos.  It was awesome.  I heard the guy from the other side of the rental shop yelling, "Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!"  But it was too late.  The skis and poles were all lying on the floor all over the place.  I hurried out of there pretty dang fast, once again reminded of my clumsiness and impressed at my ability to make a big mess with just one little nudge from my yellow bag.

1 comment:

Sue Martin said...

Thanks for the kind words, Jill. It was really a fun day.