Monday, February 20, 2012

Wonder of wonder

I always like to get a good showtune stuck in my head, and today was no different.

When my car was broken into on Friday night, the police officer told me that almost always the thieves go through the bags, take cash and leave everything else in a bush or trash can somewhere.  It  made me so sad to think about my knitting bag that was so valuable to me, and I  knew had no value to the hoodlum who broke into my car, sitting out in the rain or in a dumpster somewhere.

Well, we got a phone call today from a man who had our stuff!  He was calling from a church and said that yesterday someone had found a black bag under a trailer in their church parking lot, which was about 6 blocks from where the theft had occurred.  The people at the church went through the bag just enough to find Aubrey's ID and then used the internet to find our home number!

Aubrey and I jumped in the van and headed down to claim our stuff.  Indeed, the man handed me my knitting bag, with Aubrey's purse stuffed inside of it.  We were absolutely amazed to find EVERYTHING there, except for Aubrey's $200 (why she had all that cash in her wallet Friday night is another story, and a lesson learned for sure).  But everything else was there--her ID, credit card, mini Book of Mormon, graphing calculator, leather Roots pencil pouch from Canada, pocketknife, and my entire knitting bag had every needle, hook and stitch marker there.  They even left my reading glasses and Paul Revere And The World He Lived In.

So of course the song that has been stuck in my head is from Fiddler on the Roof, "Wonder of wonder, miracle of miracles."

We had been praying for a miracle that somebody would find our cast-off stuff and return it to us, as improbable as that sounded.  But it happened, and we are so happy to have our stuff back.   As scummy as the criminals were who broke into my car, at least they had the decency to leave bag out of the rain and in a place where someone could find it.

I think I will knit something to celebrate!

1 comment:

troutdalite said...

so great to hear Jill. When my truck go the window smashed and wallet stolen, I only got my ID back 1/2 a year later. SO glad you got the real valuables!! Wonder what the church guy thought of Aubrey's BoM?!