Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine treat--No Bake Cookies!



I realized today that I have never posted my recipe for "No Bake" Cookies.  These are one of my very favorite things to make and to give.  My mom made them many times during my childhood.  At Easter time she would shape each cookie into a little nest and put jellybeans in it.  My favorite thing to do with these cookies is to shape them into hearts.
This is very easy to do using heart-shaped cookie cutters.  Just fill each cookie cutter with the cookie stuff (it's not really dough, so I don't know what to call it).  I use a little scooper to fill the cookie cutter, and then use a spoon to push the cookie stuff to the edges of the cutter.  I usually make the cookies about 1/2 inch thick. Leave it for about 5 seconds to take shape, and then lift the cookie cutter off and move on to the next one.  It speeds things up a bit if you have multiple cookie cutters, and small shapes work the best.  Also, it is easier if you have a helper around to either scoop or to spread.


So here's the recipe.

No Bake Cookies
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Melt butter in a saucepan and add sugar, cocoa and milk.  Stir as it comes to a boil.  Let the mixture boil for about 30 seconds.

Remove the pan from heat and add 1/2 cup of peanut butter (although I am a creamy PB girl, I prefer crunchy in the cookies), 1 tsp vanilla and 3 cups of oats.  Stir well and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.  Then use a scoop to drop the cookies onto parchment paper.

2 comments:

Sue Martin said...

Thanks - they sound delicious! They are forever memorialized in my recipe collection as Jill's No Bake Cookies.

nanadover said...

I've always called them Missionary Cookies because the first time I tasted them, the Elders who lived next door to us when I was a child made them. Your idea of the birds nest or shaped hearts is great! That's so much better than the blob the Elders made. :)