Wednesday, November 21, 2012

And so it begins...

It's the holiday season.  We are ready.

Yesterday I spent the day running errands.  One thing I had to take care of was buying a one gallon jug of molasses.  We really do go through it pretty fast around here.

I subbed Monday and Wednesday this week.  Today I basically got paid to do my bookkeeping and other business on my computer.  Monday was more interesting.  I had three language arts classes full of kids from refugee camps from Africa and eastern Europe.  They can speak English, and read at about the 3rd grade level, but they need to be able to pass the state tests, so they have their own specialized class.  They were awesome kids.  They laughed at my stupid jokes, and loved every fable of Aesop's that I could pull out of my head.  Thank goodness my dad was such a good bedtime story teller!  Then I spent the afternoon teaching science to small classes of struggling students.  That was very fun, too.  It's always a good time when a high school kid first learns the word homogeneous.

Aubrey got the idea last Friday that we needed a new Christmas tree skirt this year.  We have been using the very amazing one that my mom made for us right after we were married.  I love it, but it is made for a normal-sized tree.  When you put up a tree that is 18-feet high, and the bucket on the stand is 12" in diameter, you just need a bigger skirt.  We bought some fabric, and Aubrey designed a very cute patchwork skirt.  She stitched all the pieces together, and then I assembled the skirt and added the amazing border.   Pictures coming soon.

Tonight I finished the shopping, altered a dress for someone to wear to a wedding on Friday, started the Frog Eye Salad, got breakfast ready to go for the morning, did a little laundry, and organized the cleaning and chores list for the kids tomorrow.  I've been staying up way too late this week, and tonight is no exception.  My goal is to lay down on my pillow before midnight.

It's been a busy week, and my feet are tired, but tomorrow will be worth it.  Lots of cousins are coming to have a big party and I can't wait.

No comments: