Friday, December 14, 2012

Waiting for snow

There is a line from the movie "Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs" that reminds me of myself when I was a young girl.
"When I was a girl, I had glasses, I wore my hair in a ponytail, and I was totally obsessed with weather. Other girls wanted a Barbie, I wanted a Doppler Radar Turbo 2000. All the other kids made fun of me."

Except for the glasses....

But I was totally obsessed with the weather.  And I did dream of my own Doppler radar.  I had to settle for a dial barometer/anemometer/thermometer weather station for Christmas is 1983.  After all, a portable, full-color weather station was something totally something from my dreams.  Fantasy.  It could never happen.

But dreams come true.  Now every day I sit down on my laptop, go to wunderground.com and weather.com and check out the doppler.  I look at satellite images, radar, and all kinds of weather maps.  I have my sweet Davis Pro2 weather station to know the precise weather data at my house, and I love to check out the different graphs it gives me showing me the trend of whichever data I want--air pressure and wind speed are my particular favorite graphs.

I am dying to have some snow here at my house.  I keep watching my weather station for a drop in air pressure and temperature.  I really, really want some snow.

As Phil Connors asked in Groundhog Day, "Did you want to talk about the weather, or were you  just making chit-chat?"  I will seriously think you want to talk about weather if you bring it up.

No comments: