Friday, February 1, 2008

Bleak House

I read this book last fall, and I must say it was my favorite book ever. Well, maybe tied with To Kill A Mockingbird. Charles Dickens is a master, weaving many seemingly unrelated plotlines into one big, fat, smash-bang, holy-cow, I-didn't-see-that-coming climax. And the falling action and resolution of Bleak House are by far the best love story in all of literature. Seriously--it kicks Pride and Prejudice's butt.

I then went onto our county library's website to reserve the DVD which Masterpiece Theater had shown a couple of years ago. We never watch TV, so I had no idea that this movie existed, but I was very excited to see it. As my luck would have it, the first two times it came up my turn to check it out, I was out of town and missed my chance. But last week I finally got my turn. I watched a couple of episodes every day (it is 7 1/2 hours total). I was not disappointed.
I think this version of Bleak House was very loyal to the book. A few minor storylines were necessarily left out, but the characters were, except for one, exactly as I had pictured them in my mind. The actress who played Esther was quite good as far as playing the character, but physically, she was just plain weird-looking. I mean I didn't want a Barbie doll in the role, but she is just not what I had pictured at all. I still LOVED the movie, though.

I don't understand why BBC chooses such.....unusual-looking girls for their main roles. The male protagonists are always very handsome, and the female lead roles are sort of strange looking.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for a good suspense, murder-mystery, romance, detective story, I highly recommend Bleak House. The book is huge, but worth every page.

2 comments:

Megs said...

The GREATEST love story? :-)
Now that you've got that one under your belt, it's time for Anna Karenina, in MY opinion, the greatest love story written.

Jill said...

Been there, done that. This one is still tops.