Friday, February 8, 2008

Irony


Here's a little tid-bit I just learned. And it is the ultimate example of irony.

Ronald Reagan was shot by John Hinckley, Jr on March 30, 1981. I was in 3rd grade, and I remember the day very vividly. The bullet lodged in Reagan's lung, 1/2 inch from his heart. It was a miracle (at least I think so--many of you probably don't) that he survived. We all know that stuff. Here's the crazy part of the story that I just learned recently.

John Hinckley was not a great shot. He took 6 shots at Reagan, and accidentally hit 3 other people. 1 bullet missed everything, and 2 bullets hit the limo Reagan was heading toward. The final bullet which hit Reagan had actually first hit the bullet-proof limo, and then ricocheted into Ronald Reagan. So the bullet-proof car meant to protect his life actually nearly ended it.
I just finished all my bookkeeping to get our tax stuff to our accountant. It KILLS me to see so much of what we worked so hard for re-distributed by the government. Perhaps that's why I'm missing Reagan so much these last few days.

No comments: