Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why I love school uniforms


I think this picture says it all. Savanna is a very creative and colorful girl. She likes to express this in her clothes. Before she started school, it was a daily battle to get her into something semi-normal in order to go to the store or other public place. If we were staying home, I didn't fight it. For church, I would force a dress on her, and she would accessorize with beads and pink cowgirl boots.

Along came Kindergarten. The charter school has a dress code: white or navy collared shirt and khaki or navy pants/shorts/skirt. This was a dream for me with the boys last year--I hardly spent any money on school clothes. And then when their clothes still fit in September, I didn't have to buy anything for them. But money isn't the real reason I love the uniforms. The biggest reason is that it has taken the daily battle of what matches and what doesn't away. I thought Savanna would have a hard time with the uniform thing. But she loves it. She can still wear any color long-sleeve shirt under her polo, and any leggings she wants under her skirt or shorts. And pink cowgirl boots match everything, right? Her creativity has not been stifled at all. My favorite is to see her in her shorts, argyle knee socks, pink boots, and polo and white sweater. It's so Savanna. But whatever she wears, she can't NOT match. It's awesome.

The picture above is what Savanna changed into after school yesterday, and is representative of what she used to try to wear every day. Butterfly turtleneck, pink t-shirt, plaid shorts, cheetah leggings, snowflake gloves, and a supergirl hat. That's my girl.

2 comments:

nanadover said...

Wow! We can see her coming...which is good. You don't have to worry about her not being seen! And...she is modest...covered from head to toe...literally! Such a cutie!
Shine Savanna, Shine!

Anonymous said...

I love her creativity...what a gal!