Thursday, May 20, 2010

Snickerdoodles

It's no secret that I make a lot of cookies. It is probably my favorite hobby. A cookie has got to be worth the calories. I am a self-described pastry snob. I don't eat baked goods just because they are there. They have got to be premium. Don't ever try to feed me a Marie Callendar's pie or a grocery store cookie. I'd rather lick the sidewalk.

I don't often get to choose the cookie I make. The kids (or their friends) make their requests, and I obey. When I do get to choose, I always choose snickerdoodles.

This recipe was Mark's grandmother's. It is absolutely the best snickerdoodle recipe ever. Be prepared to hear, "Wow, I didn't know that snickerdoodles could actually taste good."

Snickerdoodles
1/2 c butter
1/2 c butter-flavored Crisco
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 c flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Directions:
Cream shortening, butter and sugar together. Add eggs and vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients. Form into balls. Roll balls in a mixture of 2 TBSP sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon. Place dough balls 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet, and smash slightly with your palm. Bake 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees.

3 comments:

nanadover said...

I love Snickerdoodles! I will have to give this recipe a try!Thanks!

troutdalite said...

Mmm...one of Scott's top two favorites. I'll have to do these for Father's Day. You could add a recipe label (and side gadget with your labels list) to your posts so those of us in the Jill's cooking fan club. But then, maybe I'm the only one who has to go back and search for your treats I should have printed along the way! I can just guess some of your side labels: things that have arrived broken, vacations, books, kids, running...ok not in that order : )

Anna said...

Snickerdoodles are my favorite too! I will be trying your recipe soon!