Friday, November 26, 2010

It's what's for dinner


Our favorite after-Thanksgiving dinner. I posted the recipe last year here. The best soup on earth, and perfect to use up those leftovers.

I have trouble with turkey leftovers. They never taste like the turkey did the first day. I think I had one too many leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches as a kid. And then you get that hard part of the turkey in your sandwich that you can't chew and you have to find a tactful way to spit it out in front of other people.... It's just no good. That's why I like this soup--you cut the turkey into tiny chunks and let it soak up the curry goodness. It completely takes away that "leftover turkey" taste.

I also will be making Split Pea Soup with our leftover ham tonight. I found that if I use yellow split peas rather than green ones, the kids eat it better, and we just call it "ham soup" and they are good with that. The green color can sometimes scare off some kids (like me, who never tasted split pea soup until I was about 30 because the color always creeped me out), but the yellow looks more appealing to the picky ones.
  • 1lb. (strong 2 cups) Peas (Split Green )
  • 1 Meaty Ham bone (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped Onion
  • 1 tsp. Sea Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper (Medium Grind)
  • 1/4 tsp. Marjoram
  • 1 Bay Leaf
  • 1 cup diced Celery
  • 1 cup diced Carrots
Sort and rinse split peas prior to cooking,

Cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and add ham bone (if desired), onion and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer very gently for 1 1/2 hours. Remove bone, cut off meat and dice. Return meat to soup and add vegetables. Cook slowly 30-40 minutes until vegetables are soft. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Serves 6-8.

1 comment:

troutdalite said...

Yeah! Thanks for reminding me of your Curried Turkey Soup. It will be coming up on our menu soon. Fun to see the festivities at your house and the trekking through the backwoods!