Thursday, May 3, 2012

FBI Reject

I am an FBI reject.

A few weeks ago in anticipation of a teacher strike, I busted out my expired Nebraska teaching license and drove to the state capital to get things in the works for obtaining a current teaching license in my state.  Part of this process was going to the state police and getting fingerprinted.

Let's just say that the woman who took my fingerprints was the epitome of a state employee.  Lazy, rude, put-out that I had actually shown up and made her get her butt off of her chair.  She didn't talk to me.  She rolled her eyes.  She went through the motions of putting my fingers on the scanner.

Now, I'm not a trained fingerprinter, but I am bright enough to see that when the screen is saying to scan the person's index right index finger, you probably should be scanning the index finger and NOT the thumb.  What do I know?

At least three times during this process (only 10 fingers, right?) the woman was scanning a finger other than what the screen said she should be scanning.  After the third time she told me to shut up and not tell her how to do her job.  Against all evidence, I tried to tell myself that this person did indeed know what she was doing and would switch the images around as necessary before printing them.

I was wrong.

In the mail yesterday I received a new fingerprint card and instructions to go get fingerprinted again.  Stamped in big letters over a copy of my original fingerprints were the words FBI REJECT.

That always makes your day, right?

In the notes on the paper it says that they had scanned TWO right thumbprints and NO right index fingerprint.  Shocker, I know.

So now I am driving back today to make them take my fingerprints again--at no charge.  What do you think the odds are that they will admit their mistake and do it for free?

1 comment:

nanadover said...

...state workers at their finest. So sad that we have to pay for this kind of "intelligence(?)".