Monday, May 14, 2012

Sick house

All of our kids have been sick this week.  7 out of 7.  Zack was the first to come down with a really bad cold and a fever that wouldn't leave about 10 days ago.  He got better, and then Tuesday morning Joel was telling me he had a headache and was not feeling great, but he didn't have a fever and hadn't vomited, so I sent him to school.  By 11:00 I had to pick him up because he did have a fever.  I banished him to the basement (which is actually a pretty sweet place to be banished) and hoped he was the only sick kid we had.  But then on Wednesday Savanna came home from school and went right up to her bed to sleep--for the night!  By Wednesday night, Noah was also feeling yucky, and he had that look in his eye.  You know when you are a mom "that look."  It's "that look" that cannot be faked by a kid who just doesn't want to go to school.  It's the sick look, and Noah had it.  So Savanna and Noah joined Joel in the basement.  We named it "The Leper Colony."  They weren't allowed to come up the stairs, and if they needed anything I would go drop it off on the bottom step and they would come get it.

Abram's 18th birthday was Wednesday, and by the evening I started to see "the look" in his eye, and sure enough, Thursday  morning he had the bug as well.  But Abram couldn't stay home from school because he had the AP Lit test that morning, and also AP European History on Friday.  But he was sick, sick, sick.

So 4 out of the 7 kids spent the weekend in the Leper Colony.  They had TV.  They had a wii, a bathroom, air hockey, and a table to eat or play games at.  But mostly they just laid down and slept.

We let Savanna and Noah and Joel out of their exile yesterday, and then last night Aubrey and Jacob started in with the fever and "the look."  Now they are home from school enjoying all that the basement has to offer.  Aubrey has 2 AP tests coming up this week, though so she needs to beat the bug fast!

Now, banishing them to the basement may sound cruel.  But I don't want to be sick, and neither does Mark.  We have the Odgen Marathon (and half) this weekend, and we really can't get sick!  Miraculously I have been able to take care of all the sickies without catching the bug myself--yet.  I think I will hold off sterilizing the basement until after we return home from the race, just to make sure I don't catch this bug.  Luckily there has been no barfing.  Just fevers, headaches and stuffy noses.  Still, I don't want to try to run a half marathon with a fever, headache or stuffy nose, so I'm keeping my distance.


No comments: