Wednesday, May 30, 2012

My race in pictures

The Ogden Half Marathon course is amazingly beautiful.  I loved this race.
The race started in Eden, Utah on the far side of the reservoir.  It was a beautiful run around the reservoir and across the dam.  I was feeling good and stayed on pace.
After we crossed the dam we headed down Ogden Canyon.  If you know me, you know I LOVE rivers, and I absolutely loved running along the river looking at how I would run the river in a kayak if I ever had the chance.  I also kept looking up at the rock formations of the canyon and it made me think about my dad--the whole time!  My dad taught me to love geology.  He taught me about how canyons were formed, what the different rock strata told about the formations, how glaciers can carve a canyon, where fossils will likely be found, where you might discover some hieroglyphics under a rocky ledge and everything you can imagine about rockhounding.  He taught me to love rocks and to try to learn from the rocks and formations around me.  So I thought a lot about my cute dad while I ran, and this made the time go very fast down the canyon.  I was hot and tired but it was great.

I  knew the hardest part of the race was going to be the last 3 miles.  After 10 miles of a generally downhill course, I knew that when my legs hit the flat part of the course in Ogden it was going to be difficult to keep my legs going.  And it was!  I slowed down to about a 10-minute-mile pace for miles 10-12, but that is all my legs had in them.  And then we turned the corner onto Grant Ave and I could see the finish banner over the street a mile ahead of me.  So I turned on my turbo boost.
Once this sign was in my sights I ran much faster.  I ran the last mile in about 8 minutes, and I was so happy to finally step over that mat at the finish line.  I couldn't believe that I had not hurt my knee in this race!  It was exhilarating, and I cried knowing that I had just run my fastest race.
 I posed for a picture with my medal in the finishers area.  It was easy to give a big smile because the day had been so great.  So was it my new shoes, my new headband, or the fact that this was my first race where my hair was long enough for one ponytail that made the difference?  I may never know.
Next up:  Seattle Rock and Roll half on June 23rd!

No comments: