Friday, May 4, 2012

I survived 3D!

Yesterday was pretty exciting.  I spent the entire day in the car.

First, I drove to Salem to get re-fingerprinted.  Fortunately, the regular fingerprint guy was at work and was super friendly and nice.  He profusely apologized for the idiot lady who had done my fingerprints the first time.  He told me that he almost hates taking days off because he has to come back to hear stories about how poorly people have been treated in his absence.  Apparently the women who have to get off their butts and do fingerprints while he is gone absolutely hate doing it.  Yes, it is part of their job description, but they take it out on the public when they have to do it, and then they take it out on this nice guy when he gets back from a day off.  This guy pointed out the irony of my situation.  The same idiot lady who did my fingerprints wrong is also the one who rejected them because they were wrong when they came for analysis...

Anyway, I dropped off my fingerprint card at the state teacher licensing place and drove 80 miles back home.  And then began the usual Thursday marathon of picking kids up, taking some to piano, going to pick up another kid and drop him off at piano while picking up the 2 kids, taking the 2 kids to the church for scouts and activity days, then to pick up Abram from high school because he had stayed after, then back to get the piano kid, then to the church to pick up 2 kids.

And then the fun began.  The Acura dealership had given me 9 tickets to see The Avengers at an early screening yesterday.  Not the midnight show, but a 7pm show.  So I drove the kids across town to see The Avengers.  When we arrived, I realized it was in 3D.  I nearly ran for the car.  I was very afraid.

I have a sensitive head.  I get motion-sick easily.  Amusement parks are not amusing to me, and anything 3D just really hurts my brain.  When I was 15 my family took a trip to Orlando.  While at Epcot Center, we had the privilege of watching Captain E.O. in 3D.

I have never recovered.  25 years later and I am still scarred from Captain E.O.  Perhaps it was the whole story in the first place, but I know it was really the stupid 3D.  I wanted to like it.  It was all the rage, and everyone said how cool it was.  But it wasn't cool.  It was nauseating.  Like ruin-the-rest-of-your-day-at-Epcot kind of nauseating.

And I swore off 3D for the rest of my life.  But then The Avengers came to town.

As the movie started, I placed the glasses on the tip of my nose so I could look through them if I wanted to, or just watch a blurry-ish version of the movie without them if necessary.  Within 5 minutes I was watching full-time through the glasses.  It was cool!  I didn't get sick at all.

When we stood up to leave, I was a little dizzy for about 5 minutes, but then I was fine.

I don't know if I will ever voluntarily go to a Real 3D again.  It was cool and all, but I think the movie would have been just as enjoyable without it.

I never dreamed that I would watch a 3D movie without barfing.  Will miracles never cease?

No comments: