Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A metal medal!

Today we ran the Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Marathon.  It is a great local race.  Last year was our first year running it, and it ended with a very big disappointment for me.  See this post if you don't remember.  But this year's race had a happy ending as far as medals go.

No race would be complete without the traditional night-before bib pinning and posing for pictures.
 I bought my sweet USA outfit at the Olympic Trials last weekend.
 As far as the actual race went, Mark had a fantastic day.  He gave it his all and finished the 1/2 marathon in 1:27:45!  If you care, that is a 6:42-per-mile average pace.  He is on track for a sub-3-hour marathon this fall.

Joel ran the 5k in 25:28.  Noah's first race ever was amazing.  He never stopped running and ended up finishing in 28:29.  Not bad for a kid who just turned 11 and trained 1.5 miles a day 3 times a week for the past month.

My day was not the best.  I had a really great first 1/2 of the 1/2.  I was on track for a 2:05 PR.  But at mile 6 my left IT band flared up as it did in Seattle 11 days ago.  I ran as much as I could, but had to walk from time to time to give my knee some relief.  It was so sad to have plenty of energy and strength to keep running but to not have a functional knee to allow me to do my best.  I sucked it up as much as I could and finished with a 2:23.  Not my best, not my worst.  Now it is time to let it heal.  If you need me I will be aqua-jogging at the pool for the rest of the summer.

But the good news of the day is that this year the race awarded medals made out of---metal!  No cardboard; no recycled bicycle chains.

I gathered all of my courage to run through the pain for the last mile, and as I sprinted across the finish line and received my medal I decided it had all been worth it.
 
The medal met all of my requirements for a medal:
1-It is made of metal
2-It is shiny
3-It is heavy
4-It is waterproof

No matter what my time was, I finished my 9th half marathon in 3 years, and I have a beautiful strawberry medal to add to my collection.
 That's what I'm talking about.


No comments: