Thursday, January 3, 2008

Best Christmas Toys

First is the HotWheels 4-Lane Raceway. At first I almost returned this, because even though I got it for $15, it seemed like a lot to pay for a bunch of plastic. But this is probably the most-played-with toy we got this year. ALL 5 of the boys (13 years old down to 1) love this toy. It's like a 6-foot long Pinewood Derby track for 4 Hotwheels. You line them up, pull the lever, and they race down through the finish line. Not fancy, no batteries, no noise (except for exhuberant screams from the racers)

This is also a great buy. The Brio Labyrinth. We bought it for our 8-year-old, but all ages from 40 down to 4 have had a blast with this. It is very well made, with mortise and tenon corners. We paid about $38 for it, and it will last forever. I am incapable of getting the ball past #3, but all the kids (and the Dad) have played with this daily trying to make it farther than the last time.

Stay alive (below) is one game I played with my brother countless times as a kid. I found this at backtobasicstoys.com, and our kids love it. You pull one lever on each of your turn, trying to make the other players balls fall through, while keeping yours on top. 4 can play at a time, which is a big bonus at our house.

We had this clock at my house growing up. I loved to wind it up, listen to "My Grandfathers Clock" play, and watch the little windows show what a little girl should be doing at each time of the day. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this at Target last November. I snatched one up for Zack, and never saw them again at the store. Lots of online places have it, though. When we visit my mom's house, Zack heads straight for the toys, and gets this clock out. The oldie was made of wood and weighs a ton, which isn't so good for little toes. But this new one is lightweight, and has the same internal mechanism. The song is not annoying like so many wind up toys. Kids of all ages like this silly old clock.
It killed me to pay $12 for this, but I knew how much Savanna would love it, so I did it anyway. She loves HSM, and knows every word to every song. She sings all day in her very, very loud voice. So I couldn't pass this microphone up. It is still working 10 days after Christmas, which is more than I expected. It plays 2 HSM songs and amplifies your voice as you sing along. Or you can just use the microphone without the song. The other boys won't admit it, but they love this toy, too.



1 comment:

Courtney said...

The HSM microphone was a big hit at our house this year too.