Tuesday, January 15, 2008

uh-oh

It always has amazed me with 1-year-olds how much can be communicated with the simple word uh-oh.

Zachary is a champ, and may hold a world record at effectively communicating his needs and wants with this caveman-like, 2-syllable utterance.

It can mean "my hands are dirty," "I spilled, "or "I dropped something." Even more entertaining is when he says, "Uh-oh" while holding something that he is in the process of throwing. A pre-meditated uh-oh. It can mean I handed him something he didn't want, or I put the wrong shirt on him. Today it meant, "Sorry, Mom. I still had a mouthfull of Oreo slime when I did a running dive onto your pillow and smeared smooshy black stuff all over your pillowcase."

His YES nod is the cutest thing I have ever seen, because he nods really big, and his eyebrows go up and down while he is nodding.

The saddest UH-OH I ever heard was from baby Joel. He had been a little cranky one day, so I put him into bed knowing that he wasn't feeling very well, and figuring he was ready for a good night sleep. When I went in about 1/2 hour later to check on him, he sat up in his bed in the middle of a huge puddle of vomit. He said, "Uh-Oh, Mom." I felt so bad. He hadn't cried or made a sound. I guess he was really tired--and obviously really sick, too.

No comments: