Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A new form of motivation


Abram and Aubrey got ipods for Christmas. They soon discovered that the CD collection Mark and I amassed in the early 90s was really not what they wanted to have on their nanos. Basically if the music was recorded after 1992, we haven't heard of it. But Mark is a great connoisseur of 80s music--he even impresses me sometimes with his random knowledge of the guitar player's names from various bands. John Denver, Air Supply and Chicago might have been really fun to listen to on my Sony Walkman in 1984, but they just don't make the playlist onto the nano. Duran Duran, Erasure, Alphaville, A-ha, Tears for Fears, INXS, Eurythmics, The Police.....the kids think we're crazy when we pull out our CDs. When I unwrapped an electric blanket from my parents for my Christmas present and got excited, Abram said, "Mom, you really are getting old." Yes, I am. But Mark is even older.


So we enlisted Aunt Meg to give the kids a list of good bands and songs to steer their itunes eyes to. She emailed them some good ideas. But the kids are wise spenders, and have yet to go crazy on itunes. They save their money, and only buy when necessary. But our lack of teenage-appropriate music, and their desire for it, have created a hunger.


Anyway, I have discovered the past couple of days that the kids will do anything for a new song. It's fantastic. Mop the kitchen floor. Vacuum the car. Massage my left rhomboid muscle for 10 minutes. You name it...they will do it for a song!

No comments: