Friday, January 18, 2008

The party that almost wasn't

Sorry for you Bradleys who have heard this story. I had to post it for my family and anyone who didn't know what a big dork I am. This happened in December:

We are not big sports fans here at our house. So when Abram came home from school early last week to ask if he could have a Civil War party Saturday, I thought: north and south, blue and grey, Appomattox Courthouse, etc. Then he told me he was talking about football.So we have the Oregon Ducks and the Oregon State Beavers here, and people go CRAZY about their schools.
Growing up in Salt Lake, and going to BYU, I understand the college rivalry thing. But I have no interest in Ducks or Beavers. I mean, who picked those animals for mascots anyway? At least the beaver is an industrious animal, but the duck?Anyway, their big football game, called The Civil War, was Saturday. So I made up some invitations for Abram and Aubrey, and they invited 35 of their closest friends to come watch the game and eat all sorts of tasty cookies. Abram decided to be a Beaver fan (Oregon State) because "all the hot chicks like the Beavers."

So the party started at 1:00 and kickoff was at 1:30. At 1:10 some guys asked me if they could turn on the TV, so I said, "Sure."Then I heard the bad news....."You don't have ESPN.""No, we don't." What do these boys care about which satellite programming package we have (I'm cheap, OK).Then I realized what they were saying. We needed ESPN 2 to watch the game. It never donned on me to check if the biggest game in the state was on one of our channels.

I had horrible thougts running through my mind as I imagined Abram at his high school reunion 25 years from now as people still laughed at him because he invited everyone over for a party and we didn't even have the channel we needed.Fortunately, we had been having trouble with our dish recently, so I knew the number, and the quick way through their annoying telephone menu. I got a friendly chap from India who quickly upgraded our programming package for one month so that I didn't have to send 35 kids home to spread the news about Abram's lame party. By kickoff time we had ESPN 2, and the game was actually interesting to the last of the second overtime.Hooray for Dish Network!

No comments: