Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A big owie!


Yesterday I had a very crazy experience. I was doing my hair (which takes about 2 minutes) and Zachary was in the bathroom with me. I put down the flat iron and looked down at Zachary who had emptied one of my drawers that I thought was safe. His hand was covered in blood and he was shaking it all over the bathroom. I quickly picked him up and put his hands under some running water. He thought I was just being nice because splashing in the sink is his favorite thing to do. I got him cleaned off and could see the blood was pouring from a cut on the tip of his middle finger. I looked back at the floor and saw my toenail clippers--unopened, but covered in blood. Somehow he had been attempting to clip his nails, and rather nearly cut the top of his finger off.


Sadly my first reaction when I saw this wasn't, "I wonder how deep this cut it." Rather it was, "YUCK! What more disgusting thing could you cut your finger with than toenail clippers?" My mind started running wild thinking that I must watch Zachary closely for some type of flesh-eating bacteria or blood poisoning. My toenails aren't that gross, though.


I knew that I had to get his finger to stop spurting blood. Surprisingly, Zack was not crying at all at this point. I ran for the other bathroom where we have paper towels. There I saw Savanna in the aftermath of pooping, and she needed immediate parental assistance. So I set Zachary down, and he started shaking his hand wildly trying to get the blood off. It went everywhere, and Zack started to realize something was wrong. I helped Savanna as quickly as I could, scooped up Zack and started applying pressure to his finger with the paper towels. At this point Zachary started screaming. He realized something hurt, and he was sure I was hurting him. It hadn't hurt him at all until I started trying to get it to stop bleeding. So he kept trying to get away, which made it bleed even faster. I finally laid him on his bed where I could hold him down with my leg while I used one had to hold the paper towels over the bleeding finger, and the other arm to hold his one arm still. With his free arm, Zachary started punching me as hard as he could trying to get me to let go of him. I know he thought I was the one making it hurt. I was sure I was going to have a broken nose. He was inconsolable, and he sucks his left thumb, which I was holding as far away from him as possible.


I held Zack down for about 15 minutes before he fell asleep from exhaustion. I was then able to really get the pressure on his cut, and it went back together pretty well. I left him there sleeping. I didn't dare to bandage it up, because I knew he would do more damage to it trying to rip the bandage off that he could just running around and being his crazy self.


When he woke up from his nap, he gave me Zacky snuggles, and his finger is fine now.

No comments: