Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Birthday, Abram!

It's official. My baby is 14. I never could have imagined that my little 8 pound baby would grow so fast. Everyone told me it would happen. And somehow between all the busy craziness of every day, Abram is no longer a little boy or a scrawny kid. He's grown about 12 inches this year and bulked up to 125 pounds! I still have 2 inches on him, but with his size 11 feet, I know he is not done growing taller.

Yesterday one of his teachers brought cake and ice cream and surprised Abram with it during lunch. I was very excited when I asked Abram what kind of birthday cake he wanted and he told me "The usual Krispy Kreme cake." No, there is not a cake at Krispy Kreme. It's just that about 5 years ago when KK opened up here, I had a brainstorm one birthday that a bunch of donuts piled up on a fancy cake stand would look really cool. Stick some candles in the top donut, and you're done. They'll even give you "party hats" at KK if you ask for them. So the lame-mom donut cake was born, and 90% of the birthdays around here happen with a Krispy Kreme cake.

I told Abram he could invite a few friends over today for lunch and basketball. I asked what he wanted to eat, and he said, "Costco pizza." So I took Abram and 3 of his friends with me to Costco. They walked around the store and ate samples while I did my shopping, and then when I got in line I gave Abram a $20 for them to go get pizza, churros and drinks. They were very happy boys. They ate up, and we went home and they played basketball like good 14-year-old boys.

No comments: