Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A stitch in time

Zack got a bonk today. A big, bloody owie on his chin. He was doing a little happy dance in the kitchen while I was peeling his apple. He had his hands over his tummy, and when his dance got a little crazy he fell over on his face. His chin hit the hardwood floor and split open. He bled all over me and all over the kitchen before I finally got a good enough look at him to realize he needed stitches.
My friend Holly was on her way to my house when this happened, and so when she arrived I left her with Savanna (and the project we were both supposed to be working on together) and I headed to the doctor's office with Zack.

When we got there the nurse took us into their suture room and she gave Zack a pillow and a ball. He calmed right down and laid down on his pillow. He started to get a little sleepy. I slid him up so the pillow was mostly under his back, which forced his chin to go up and away from his chest. Then I just rubbed his head and talked to him until he fell asleep.

He was out cold.

The nurse then put the super-duper topical anesthetic on his chin, and they gave it 15 minutes to work its magic. Zack was still sleeping. The doctor came in prepared for the papoose-board, and then he saw my snuggly guy passed out on the table and couldn't believe it. I held Zack's hands closed so he couldn't startle himself awake. And then I watched in amazement as the doctor placed five perfect stitches in my boy's chin. They didn't even have to use a lidocaine injection.

I picked up Zack, put him in his carseat, drove home, and put him in his bed. He slept for a little while and then came out of his room as happy as ever. He has NO idea that he has stitches.

We'll see how he feels about in Monday when we get them taken out.

No comments: