Sunday, June 29, 2008

Edward vs. Jacob


I have long held the opinion that the only books worth reading (other than history/biographies and To Kill a Mockingbird) were books with dead authors. Lots of brain candy books have been written in my lifetime, great action adventure stories, but they are just that---stories. Not much deep in symbolism, metaphor, or literary value. A recent reading experience intensified my long-held belief about dead authors.

Many of Mark's cousins were raving about the Twilight books last year. I had to find out just what made this vampire/human love story so enthralling. I needed an easy read, and so I bought the three books. Eagerly I started reading the first one, and I just couldn't get into the writing. Blah blah blah. Boring boring boring. Terrible writing. I adore Mark's cousins, and I did find the storyline interesting, so I kept reading. I wanted to belong to the group of Twilight lovers. I suffered through to the end. The last chase/ballet studio part I will admit had me hooked. But overall, I just didn't get into the story. I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't love it. It was OK. A really interesting story/idea/plot. The writing just left much to be desired.
I realize that many of you think that Charles Dickens leaves much to be desired--although he is my fave.

I just couldn't crack open the next 2 books. However, Aubrey read all three of them and liked them. I do understand that these books were written for a teen audience, so I try to keep that in mind as I try to convince myself to read the next one. I don't think that will ever happen. I will watch the movie when it comes out this December. I think that the story will make a really good movie. Our friend was very involved with the filming of about 25 scenes, and we got to go walk the sets during filming. I don't expect much chemistry between Edward and Bella in the movie, though. According to our friend, there wasn't much there. Mostly what Kristin Stewart did was pout and sit in her trailer.

Abram was given a list of authors to choose 2 books from for summer reading for his pre-AP english class this fall. Out of 12 authors, only 2 are dead. Jane Austen and Charles Dickens. Abram picked Charles Dickens. Good boy. I'm starting him off with A Tale of Two Cities and Oliver Twist.

On the live-author good side, I read These Is My Words on the recommendation of Mark's cousin, the beautiful and amazing Allison. I read this book on the plane to and from Belize, and I really, really liked it. I am sure there are more good fiction books by living authors, but I will mainly stick to the dead ones still. And yet, Harper Lee, you are a genius. David McCullough to also belongs on the short list of living author geniuses. 1776 anyone?

3 comments:

Seth said...

So who else was on the list for Abram?

Jill said...

I can't find the list, but I know that Stephen King was on there, and Orson Scott Card (I would have been OK with this one). Also Nicholas Sparks, and about 5 others I had never heard of.

Seth said...

Really? Pre-AP English and it has Nicholas Sparks? Interesting... Stephen King, strange. Maybe the teacher found out those are the only books the students would read.