Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Got milk?

We drink a lot of milk in our house. I go to Costco about once a week and buy 12 gallons of milk. That lasts us a week. The good thing about Costco milk is it is always consistenly delicious--no strange tastes that grocery store milk sometimes has. The best thing about Costco milk is it is $1 or more cheaper per gallon. This saves us a lot of money. The worst thing about Costco milk WAS the cardboard boxes. They have to be broken down and put in the recyling--just one extra job I have to do when I get home. As if bringing 12 gallons of milk into the house wasn't enough work.

I went tonight for my weekly Costco run. I was astounded to see a completely new package for the milk. There are no more boxes. The gallons are now taller, more square, and in more opaque jugs. 2 jugs bound together by recyclable plastic. And a new freshness seal under the lid!

I am very happy about the new Costco milk packages. I was hoping the new shape of the bottles would let me get 12 rather than only 10 gallons on one shelf in my fridge. Still only 10--but my recyling rollcart is going to be much emptier each week. We usually put out 155 gallons of recyling on garbage day. I am curious how the no-milk-box thing is going to affect that.

Savanna will no longer be able to make her milk-box robot girl after the Costco trip--and before the recyling bin. She used to put one box on each limb, one box around her torso, and one on her head and walk around the house saying, "I am a ro-bot."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the years pre-Ian, when my guys were all home, we'd go through a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread a day. That's just with 3 guys! (And Erik not much of a milk drinker unless there are magic cookies from Jill : ) A co-worker of mine (who is married and plans on no kids ever--would take away from travel and $) couldn't believe we went through so much. It will be interesting to see how the number 12 goes up per week when more of your guys are teens!

Jill said...

If I didn't make so many cookies we wouldn't go through so much milk. We are on the verge of going to 14 gallons, though. I often have to get grocery store milk to get us through until Costco day again.